Building The Triton Project Pt. 1 (A 3D Printed AR Headset)

Prototype 1— Gokyo

My initial prototype started under the name Gokyo. If you don’t know, Gokyo Ri is the name of a relatively low summit in the Himalayas. The summit of Gokyo provides beautiful panoramic views of the Himalayan mountain range. That little tidbit provided the foundational concept of my headset. For relatively cheap off the shelf hardware, I could build an AR headset that would deliver panoramic (wide FoV) views of augmented reality.

Prototype 1.2

As you can see the display driver on top is mounted with thick paper. If you look closer its taped on to the case with electrical tape. This was not a very stable solution as the cables caused tugging and were bound to rip off the paper mounts. I started looking into other materials such as wood and thicker paper. It wasn’t until my neighbor recommended I should jump into 3d printing. Now, this was incredibly intimidating as I didn’t know a ton about 3d printing but my intuition knew it was the next level of prototyping. The North Star headset was created through 3d printed parts and so it was logical that The Triton headset should be as well. It was time to purchase a 3d printer.

Back in my college dorm room

Software Beginnings

For the time being, I’ve decided to stray away from Unity 3D and the safety of C#’s .NET framework. As much as I love Unity I also felt it was somewhat of a limiting factor for the North Star Project. For anyone who has worked on North Star, you know that the Leap Rig was often awkward and clunky.

Pt. 1 Conclusion

There will be a part 2 to all of this. At the time of me writing this, I am more than halfway done with a new 3d printed prototype that is more advanced then what I’ve shown so far.



Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store